Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Week 8 - YouTube and more!

What is cyberdrama?

Cyberdrama is ... "a reinvention of storytelling itself for the new digital medium"
Murray, J (1997) Hamlet on the Holodeck

"Cyberspace holds potential to provide new pathways for imagining, creating, and sharing human experiences"
LeNoir, N (1999) in Theatre in Cyberspace

Cyberdrama is a new form of drama that is being created on-line. The Cyberdrama website will be used as a portal for a number of projects with participants involved in creating drama which may be presented in both live and digital spaces. In most cases participants will be involved for a specific time period in creating a drama through a facilitated process.

Working in teams, students create video clips of performance and other online materials (photos, etc) with episodes being uploaded everyday to You Tube on a specially created website. Most of these projects will be conducted with groups within educational contexts.
Cyberdrama allows students to be involved in drama, film making, music & sound and/or digital and multimedia technology. It is a whole new genre in theatre making! These digital experiences provide the spaces for students to explore, experiment and create.






I used this video as a pedagogical tool as it is a great example of the opportunities students can be engaged in. It shows that students have the opportunity to create their own ideas and feel like they are accomplishing work on their own. I also choose this video because students can relate to it as it is based on the very funny and popular TV series, Scrubs; I hope students will find humour in it and with a bit of luck, lead to interest! This video is one of the 5 takes that was created over a 5 day period from a class in Noosa.

There’s more to Google Earth than just finding your house!

I have used Google earth in the past. I personally used the site to bring some relief when I was missing my good friends overseas in the US. It was really lovely to show my family and friends the street I used to drive down and the farm I used to work on and live in.not the barn of course! I was really disappointed when the uni library internet does not allow this site to be downloaded. My intentions were to get a show of the house I lived in whilst in the United States.

As my title suggests, Using Google Earth is more than just finding your house! Using Google earth within the class room has many benefits. Google earth is just like going on a journey or trip without the ticker prices involved! This site would be a fantastic pedagogical tool used in the classroom. It could be used in mathematics measuring distances, angles, depths and evaluation. Or, students could change to Google sky mode and measure the distances between the stars or better yet, change to Google moon or mars mode and calculate and compare the planets sizes – which would also be beneficial for science class! Other subject areas for example, would be History. Students could create their own tours of a military campground?

Or, Google earth can just be used for general interest, such as finding your house, going on a tour to famous cities, climb a mountain, visit colleges they might have applied for, or go deeper and change to sea seek and take a dive in the ocean!

I think students would take much interest in using Google Earth as because it can be about them and their lives (where they live or favourite places to go, or places they have been). Students have the chance to actually see real iconic places that could never be experienced in a picture book.


WIKIPedia!
I conducted a search on Drama and Music using Wikipedia. As you can imagine I received an overload of information’s. Below is just a list of the contents that appeared in both my searches. By clicking on these links, extended information’s will appear. Of course Wikipedia can be used for much narrower searches. The possibilities are limitless really
Search: Drama

Resources -




Search: Music



Resources:

Wikipedia’s use often serves as a great starting point for students. It allows them to gather certain information’s for further investigation elsewhere. Even though there is much debate about Wikipedia’s accurateness, it is still a great tool for learning and researching information.

Wikipedia is a collaborative, ongoing project; studnets may also ask questions of an article's authors. Because of Wikipedia’s extensive hyperlinks and external links usage, it can be an excellent tool for students to obtain other related material, both on and off Wikipedia.

Slideshare


My intentions using slideshare was to download an MP3 from archive.org and sequence it to my Blog. After much frustration and time wasted, I decided to share on my blog what I would intend to do if having more time to use slideshare. Ideally I would have liked to have the sound effects I had originally spent hours putting in my PowerPoint on my blog and I would have liked the opportunity to have more time using slideshare and getting its maximum potential.

I can see some benefits using this site as a pedagogical tool. Students have the option to create their own projects and share their work with others. Using slideshare would not only be a good way to create information’s but to store it also. Students could have easy access to a presentation that you (the teacher) have up loaded.

It is however, quite a tricky site which requires a lot of fiddling. I personally found it very frustrating to use and very time consuming. I don’t know if my blunt response to using slideshare has anything to do with my frustrations trying to figure out how to use it!

Royalty love!

Being a music teacher I would find this site very beneficial, in fact, I’m considering using it within my next lesson. I would use this site for my year 10 class as we are studying the different styles of Jazz at the current time. This site had some great examples that the students can listen to and compare. Instead of just sitting and listening, students could be actively involved finding music and listening to the different styles. This bonus for the students also, is that it is free!

I was having some problems trying upload my music file to my blog, so I uploaded the music file to my Mahara page. Please see link to hear "Hot Swing"

http://cqu-mahara.netspot.com.au/user/view.php?id=423

No comments:

Post a Comment